Wednesday 31 August 2011

Terrible Toothache...

For the last week I have had a terrible sore throat and ear ache. I have been avoiding going to the doctor, because I am not the biggest fan of western medicine, I prefer alternative medicine and therapies... Yeah I am one of those people.

Yesterday in a desperate attempt to sooth the pain, I slipped on my headphones, lied back and meditated while listening to one of my brainwave entrainment tracks designed to relieve the symptoms of PMS. I know that it's a little strange to sooth a sore throat by using a method designed to relieve PMS symptoms, but it is one of the most effective pain relieving tracks that I have made, to date.

Amazingly, after about 2 hours of deep meditation while listening to the track the swelling in my throat had gone down and the pain was no wear near as severe. I still had some pain in one particular spot though... Right where my wisdom tooth sits. Great, just bloody great. It wasn't simply a sore throat and earache after all. It was a toothache... A toothache on steroids. Something that no amount of bed rest and home-remedies will cure.

You would think that by now, I would have had my wisdom teeth removed. Well, I have never had a problem with them. As a matter of fact, I haven't had a problem with any of my teeth since I was about 7 years old and even then I didn't have any major problems although I did participate in a study on fluoride in our drinking-water, as I had some white blotches on my teeth. That's another story, however.

Other than some slight discolouration on my teeth due to drinking vast amounts of coffee, I have never had any problems. No toothaches, no fillings, no problems. Until now. Now I can understand why people get so grumpy when they have a toothache... It's awful!

Now I am scared to go to the dentist, because I haven't gone in over 10 years. Actually, its closer to 15 years now and I am scared of what the dentist will say. I always thought If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Well, after the pain that I have endured over the past week, I'm really regretting not having my wisdom teeth removed years ago like I should have.

Thankfully the pain isn't as severe as it has been over the past week. I am about to head off to work (my day job, my non-pyjama job) and have a 12 hour shift. It's going to be a long day and with this toothache, it is only going to seem longer.

Well, I better have my coffee and toast then start getting ready for work. Not looking forward to today, but once its over, its over and I can relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment