Tuesday 14 February 2012

Happy Singles Awareness Day!

It's Singles Awareness Day. A day when all those who are single log onto facebook and are greeted with countless pictures of roses and fluffy teddy bears holding love-hearts, courtesy of their married/partnered friends.

Singles Awareness Day, otherwise known as Valentines Day, doesn't bother me so much. It used to, but this year I am actually quite happy that I don't have to spend ridiculous amounts of money that I don't have on a gift for my partner. It's nice not to have to worry about those kinds of things.

First Valentines Day that I remember was when I was around 7-8 years old when my mum bought me a lovely card and some coloured pens. It was probably the best Valentines present I ever got. I know that coloured pens sound boring to some, but to me they were awesome. You see, I am a stationary girl. I love my pens. Even now I have a shoe-box filled with pens that I don't use. If one goes missing, I know about it. Even though I have hundreds that I don't use, if you knick one I will track you down and harass you until I get it back. Don't ask me why, but I am very possessive of my stationary.

Valentines Day in high school sucked. I would see girls walking around with carnations that they bought for themselves and wish that I had money so I could pretend to be popular too. I would always go to school on the morning of Valentines Day excited and hoping that I would have a gift from a secret admirer, and go home disappointed and empty-handed.

The best Valentines Day that I ever had was a few years ago when a couple single girlfriends and I decided to celebrate the fact that we were single and went and had a picnic in the botanical gardens. It was the best picnic ever, we had wine, a delicious roast chicken that my friend cooked, fruit... I can't actually remember much because of the wine (we had a LOT of wine) but I do remember there being a roast chicken. It was a fantastic day and we vowed to make sure that we meet up for Valentines Day every year after that and do the same thing, we never did.

There was a time when I felt quite bitter about Valentines Day, but I don't anymore. I am quite happy to be greeted with pictures of lavish gifts that my friends partners bought for them on facebook. It actually makes me smile. Good for them. I know that there have been times when those friends have been single and lonely on Valentines day in the past, and now they deserve to show off all their beautiful (and sometimes silly) presents.

No comments:

Post a Comment